As I previously mentioned I would do, I went to Pei Wei during the protest. I’ll report on it in Random Thoughts style:
- When we got there, just a little after 6, there was one person from the protest inside talking to the manager about it. He tried talking to people inside about the protest, but was quickly run off for loitering. Not that i blame the guy for wanting to stay inside, it was 106 out there.
- Pei-Wei’s orange peel chicken is really, really good.
- People eventually showed up with signs: one said something about not eating food “made with injustice.” Refer to this blog entry’s title for my thoughts on that…
- When I walked outside to take the picture you see above, I pointed out that the fired employees didn’t call in to say they were missing work. One asked “So you want to join us?” I responded with something to the tune of “No, I think y’all are a bunch of idiots!” and walked back inside.
- By the way, more people showed after I took that picture. There were probably 10-15 folks there total.
- As we left, I talked a little with one of the protesters. Here are some highlights from that:
- He asked me if I thought employees should be fired for missing work. I said “absolutely.”
- He then asked me if I’d ever been fired (as if that was really relevant) and I said no. The guy went on to tell me that he has been four times. Which sounds crazy, he couldn’t have been much older than me and fired FOUR times, really? Wow.
- He then brought up the economy and how hard it is to find a job, as if he thought that it should have some sway on the issue. I simply told him “Yea, I know, I just moved here and JUST got hired after looking for a job for two months.”
- He then started talking about that “racist” SB 1070. I asked him “What part of illegal don’t you understand?”
- It was then that I was convinced that the guy should be a talking head on the Sunday talk shows. He was a master at dodging the crux of questions.
- It was then that I left, stuffed with food made from injustice.
So, what did I learn?
- Protesters are stupid, and…
- Pei-Wei’s got some awesome food.
And that’s all I’ve got to say about it. I’ll leave you with this picture of my meal:
Looks like the white rice and the brown meat sauce are integrating rather nicely. I can't see the racism myself, but then again, I'm not looking for it with an electron microscope.
Post a Comment